Here are some tips for dealing with it:
- You learn a lot about organizational politics at events outside of work. If you cannot make it to these events, at least make an effort to learn from an associate who did.
- Make an effort to understand, who is influential in your organization. Once you know that, you will have an easier time navigating your way through the company.
- Aligning your goals with the goals of influential people is always a smart strategy.
- Needless to say, avoid getting in conflict with those who are influential in your organization. It is a sure shot way of shooting yourself in the foot. I am not saying you need to be a "yes man", but find a neutral way to put your opinions forward and always weigh the pros and cons of sharing your views if they drastically differ from the person in charge.
- Don’t play bad politics! It always comes back to bite you, sooner or later.
Aditi Chopra is an experienced leader in the software industry.
She is a consultant, writer and a leader.
LinkedIn | Web | Twitter | Books